Reading at Home
At Raunds Park Infant School, our expectation is that children read at home at least 5 times per week.
We ask that reading at home is indicated by a signature and date in the children's blue home-school reading record. Comments and questions can also be recorded in this book. We want reading to be something that children enjoy so please make the session with your child a positive and happy experience.
In Reception, the children are given a blending bag and a sound book so that they can become confident with recognising sounds and early blending.
When each child is ready they are then given a reading book to take home.
In Years 1 and 2, children are expected to read frequently at home. Reading books are generally changed on a Monday and Friday. They are not changed every day as we believe it is essential that books are looked at in depth and the repetition assists children in developing sight vocabulary in addition to word patterns.
To support reading skills the child can:
- Read to you
- Re-tell the story using picture clues
- Re-tell the story from memory
- Answer open ended questions about the story e.g. Why do you think that happened?, How do you think he felt?
General Questions to ask your child to aid fluency and comprehension
- What kind of book did you think this was going to be?
- Where was the story set?
- Have you read any other books like this one?
- Could this really have happened?
- Who was telling this story?
- Were there any parts of the story you particularly liked/disliked?
- What will you tell your friends about this story?
- Did the story remind you of anything you have done?
- How did the story start?
- What happened next?
- Was there more than one main event?
- Did you guess the ending?
- Did you like the ending?
- How would you have liked it to end?
- When did the story take place?
It is also important that children read a variety of books and not just their school reading book.
Please follow the link below to access lists of age-appropriate and recommended books for children. If you purchase any books from the Love Reading 4 Schools website, the school will receive 5% of the total. You may need to set up a parent account to access the lists, this is simple and free to do.